Gynecologists are primary health care providers who provide services in the prevention and management of diseases that affect the female reproductive system. Most Gynecologists are also experts in the management of symptoms associated with menopause, osteoporosis and diseases of the breast. Almost all Gynecologists are also surgeons who perform procedures such as the removal of the uterus (hysterectomy), vaginal and ovarian surgery.
In general, most older women will get comprehensive health maintenance from their primary health care provider. This will include the pap smear (removal of cells from the cervix via a vaginal exam, this test is used to detect cervical cancer). After menopause, many women may choose to have their gynecological care provided by their primary health care physician. The majority of women who are seen by a Gynecologist are usually referred by their primary health care physicians for evaluation of abnormal symptoms such as bleeding several years after menopause. In such cases, the Gynecologist acts as a specialist to diagnose and treat a specific problem or disorder.
Training and Credentials
Gynecologists must complete a residency program before they become Attending Physicians. A small percentage will go on to complete fellowships in other areas of women's health. Most Gynecologists are Board certified. Like all physicians in Virginia, gynecologists are licensed by the Department of Health Professionals, Board of Medicine and their licenses are renewed every two years.
Cost and Coverage:
Medicare Part B or Part C will usually cover 80% of the cost of the visit. You are responsible for the remaining 20% of the approved amount of the bill after the annual deductible has been satisfied. Medicare Supplemental policies (Medigap) will usually cover this amount.